  • Subject: Re: Cisc to Risc Disk Requirement
  • From: Scott Klement <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 11:56:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Bill Albert wrote:

> I am helping a client with Cisc to Risc upgrade and the planning tool
> states that there is not enough disk capacity.  This is a 3GB machine
> with 2.5GB used by Customer.  EUA planner says IMPI requirement is
> 2.4GB.  Is there a way do do this in pieces or some other way around
> putting disks into an old machine?
>
> Any experience with this? (Al?)

Before I comment, I want to make sure we're talking about the
same thing. :)   When I did my upgrade, I looked at my disk usage
information in the EUA's option called "QB020" and it looked
something like this:

                                                    Estimated Storage
  Target release . . . . . . . :   V4R5M0
  Date collected . . . . . . . :   02/23/01
  Current supported system capacity (M)  . . . . . . :   5158.99
    Storage used (M) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :     4559.72
  Required IMPI system capacity (M)  . . . . . . . . :   4813.21
  Required PowerPC AS capacity (M) . . . . . . . . . :   6709.89

                             Storage          IMPI          PowerPC AS
         Sufficient          Capacity         Storage       Storage
ASP      Storage               (M)            Required      Required
  1        No                  5158.99           4813.21       6709.89

                                                     Storage Requirements
Detai
  ASP number . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :   1
  Sufficient Storage . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :   No

As you can see, it says that I don't have sufficient storage.  The IMPI
(CISC) storage required is below the amount of storage that I have, and
the PowerPC (RISC) storage required is above the amount.

To me, it appeared that the reason it said I wouldn't have enough storage
seemed to be that it assumed that I was using the same disks on the RISC
machine as I had on a CISC machine.  (Does anyone actually do that?!)

In reality, my RISC machine had 5 times as much disk space as my CISC
machine -- the 6gb wasn't even close to filling the disk.

So I went ahead and did the upgrade -- I didn't have any problems.  It
only needed a tiny amount of additional space on the CISC machine (for
the QUPGRADE library)  I had absolutely no problems with disk space.

> Any help appreciated.
>
> Bill

Hope that helps...