  • Subject: RE: Continuing FTP script statement.
  • From: "Pantzopoulos, Mike" <mikepantzopoulos@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 01:15:29 -0500

Title: Continuing FTP script statement.
As I said, I've extended the record length and that works. I'm not keen on transferring  my own commands to a remote system. That raises a whole set of new issues concerned with version control. The initial problem was raised simply because I couldn't get all of the RSTOBJ command on one line of a normal 80 byte source line.
I looked at the midrange archive and Dennis Loveday had replied to the same question thinking that a back slah provided some sort of continuity (just like in the UNIX implementation), but on testing at V4.3 it didn't work. The person who raised the issue found the same solution as I did........create a longer record length! In fact he hit the same limit as I did - 240 byte.

This must be a common problem!

FTP seems to be a worm-hole into another system and now I'm concerned about the issue of a user id/password being held in a script file for anyone to see.
And I'm even more concerned with the idea of placing a command on a client's system. perhaps PWRDWNSYS? DLTF A* Access some source? Yee  Gods! Change some production source?
I've printed off section 9 of the TCP/IP Configuration reference which contains the FTP implementation.
My wife is going to love me bringing another sexy book to bed tonight!

Looks like I need to sniff around a lot more to get a bigger grip on all the security scenarios.