  • Subject: Re: S36 printer on AS400
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 00:10:27 EST

I am not at work while answering & we not into this very often & we on the
way out, so my memory not good, but hopefully some clues here can help.

Some printers have features that did not exist when IBM supported SSP/36 so
to work on the 36 they have to emulate some printer that the 36 knows about.
Each printer can only emulate a range of printers, many of which do not have
the features you want to use, but you have to use one that the 36 knows
about, if you are going to have the 36 auto config it.

The word "sides" might be loosely used a number of ways.

We are in reality controlled by OS/400 rules.
We are now running stuff via 36 SSP.
Someone might call this two "sides."

We are on a device that supports multiple sessions.
Someone might calle them several "sides."

You can do S/36 on OS/400 a couple of ways.
The Machine/36 way is going away from V#R# support, like imminent.  Under M36
it was possible to have several M36 environments going at the same time.
Check out GO CMDM36 then look for menu to Advanced M36 Configuration,
The Environment/36 support has not yet been announced as being dropped.
If you get onto either 36 version, the 36 command for WRKCFGSTS stuff is
CNFIGSSP.

Check jobs currently running on the system like WRKACTJOB ... is there one
that sounds M36 BATCH name.  Check what is in what subsystem like GO CMDSBSD
& what is active ... dig a bit & you'll find what S36 stuff is going on OS400
& which kinds.

While OS/400 has a number of ways for mapping devices, where the most common
choice is DSP## & PRT##, on the 36 they had to be mapped using 2 characters
with P1 P2 P3 P4 etc. being the default for printers.

You can have auto config on both OS/400 & 36 "sides" but it does not work
right when some address was a display station & now is a printer & now is a
display station & was 400 & now is 36 property.

Now it is possible for printers to be dual mapped to 36 & to 400 but to
accomplish this remotely, the whole site port that the 36 printer is on has
to belong to 36, and the configuration rules for 36 are different than 400,
not as flexible, so you not want to be switching back & forth.  Alternatively
you can set up the location on the map on the 400 side as being some ASTERISK
identity rather than a specific name, and this has the effect of a user on
the 36 sending a 36 report to the 36 printer & instead of printing on printer
belonging to 36, it ends up in this ASTERISK defined spool file (ours is
called QP36) owned by QUSER because everything from 36, irrespective of real
user name is owned by QUSER.

>  From:    jdraper@trilosoft.com (Jerome Draper)

>   I have normally just made a printer on the AS/400 that just "showed up"
> on the S36 side.  Guess there are two kinds of S36 sides.  Not sure which
this
>  customer has.  The one that's easy to convert to (10 hour migration) seems
>  to like any AS400 printer as a S36 printer.
>
>  In the "other kind of S36" on and AS400 is there some way to "map" the
AS400
>  printer to the S36 side?  It looks like they have prt01, prt02, and prt03
>  mapped as p1, p2, and p3.
>
>  TIA,
>
>  Jerry

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838