  • Subject: Re: CPF7354 Excessive Physical Members for a Logical
  • From: "Jay peasley" <jpeasley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 13:10:12 -0500

Al,

Boy this goes a long way back, but I used to work for an insurance company that
uses multiple member files to segregate their monthly transcations. Premium
transactions used to be member PM9901 for Jan or 1999 and claim transactions
used to be member CL9901, again for Jan of 1999 . Daily members were PM990113
and CL990113. Logicals over multiple member files were always created with
*MEMBERS *NONE for the reason you listed. The 32 physical limit is nice if you
are creating a multiple member work file of 2 years or so, cause you could
create the logical and pull all the members into one logical.

We had logicals over the multiple member physicals, but they were added, at
creation, and always contained the member name of the physical for obvious
reasons.

Multiple member work files, based on workstation name, is a quick and easy way
to keep work files segregated, but they can be a growth nightmare like you have
mentioned.

We used to have a utility that did a DSPFD *MBRLIST to an outfile and a CL
program that would read through it and first delete the logical, then the
physical is the number of records were *Zero and the lst used date was over 30
days old. As most work files get recreated, if they are not there, deleting an
often used one is not a problem, if the user doesn't mind waiting the 30
seconds for them to be created again.

Multiple members are neet, but for other than work files, I would not use them
again. SQL doesn't like them unless you do an override first.

Jay