  • Subject: RE: DASD upgrade - an endless problem
  • From: Jim Damato <jdamato@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:54:03 -0600

AS/400s only connection to EMC or Shark is the old, slow 6501 controller.
The IBM Shark folks were up front about AS/400 connectivity -- They said you
could do it, but you probably wouldn't want to.  The EMC sales guys
suggested that the performance of the 6501 might be offset by the
performance benefits of the EMC array.  We came to the conclusion that we
would use a SAN for our NT and Unix systems only.

We had hoped that the long awaited fibre channel support announcements would
open up the AS/400 up to SAN solutions.  Unfortunately V5R1 fibre channel
support appears to only provide the statement of direction.

If you think Shark is expensive you should price EMC.  When we brought in
IBM, EMC, and Compaq for SAN quotes EMC came in the highest, by far.  EMC's
idea of bargaining was to offer a deal on their older models.

There's a startup/infrastructure cost for SAN technology that makes it
prohibitively expensive for smaller arrays.  We felt that 2 Terabytes was
the break even point for the killer SANs such as Shark and EMC, but that was
over a year ago.

I attended an IBM Rochester factory tour about a year ago.  The guide
pointed to an AS/400 system running some aspect of the manufacturing
process.  It had a couple terabytes of storage strung out in 25 or so feet
of storage expansion units.  You'd think that after walking around and past
the system for a few months one of the engineers might have said, "The
customers have got to HATE this..."

James Damato
Manager - Technical Administration
Dollar General Corporation