  • Subject: Re: New Machine, QSECOFR not authorized
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 00:51:02 EST

I'm no expert.  I am just throwing out ideas in hopes that one of them will
stick some place useful.  There may be some areas in which my ignorance shows
& hopefully someone will make appropriate correction.

I also appologize if I sound like I am stating too much of the obvious.
Think of this as a review of what we think we know, just in case we
overlooked some critical point.

Some terminology clarification

There are a number of ways stuff can be hardware attached to the 400.  The
"standard way" that I am familiar with is to "DAISY CHAIN" a string of
devices using TWINAX cable, because that is the most economical for us.
Alternatives to Twinax include twisted pair (like ma bell uses on "standard
direct wire telephones" & something called the IBM Cabling system.  Depending
on the 400 model, you should be using PC connections rather than what I just
said.

Locally, a bunch of twinax cables go into a BRICK attached to the 400.  Each
of the twinax connectors on that brick is called a PORT.  They are numbered
from 0 to .... depending on how many LOCAL work station controllers you have.
 Your main console has to be connected to Port 0.

At a REMOTE site, you might have a remote controller also with a bunch of
twinax connectors, that we call PORTs.

Now on that Daisy Chain string of devices reaching out from the 400, they
each have a PHYSICAL ADDRESS and a LOGICAL ADDRESS numbered from 0 to 7
normally, but I happen to know that remote controller ports can support up to
16 addresses, even though there is a lower limit on how many can actually be
connected simultaneously.

Even though we have been using the word ADDRESS, the reality is that inside
the 400 nomenclature at some distant past time, IBM changed the word to
SWITCHES on the LINE.  At one time the switches were physical designed to
wear out long before the device wore out, a clever form of IBM planned trade
ins.  But all the devices I have ever seen with where you set their address
configuration, they always call it ADDRESS (if they call it anything ... a
lot of this stuff seems very cryptic).

So if you are looking at some other 400 WRKCFGSTS *DEV then get into some F14
detail, scroll to the line about SWITCHES & F4 F1 F20 there for clarification.

Now earlier I made a distinction about PHYSICAL ADDRESSES & LOGICAL
ADDRESSES.  You need to have the main console at address 0 under both
systems.  If you were to map out where a twinax cable snakes through walls &
ceilings, marching away from the 400, with occasional splices, the PHYSICAL
ADDRESS is this one then that one then this then that ... count ACTUAL
sequence of connected devices.  LOGICAL address is what you tell it when you
find the configuration screen for the Info Window.

So we could have a port with the cable going from
physical device 0 with logical address 7
then
physical device 1 with logical address 0
then
physical device 2 with logical address 5

One physical device can have multiple logical addresses.
I call them SESSION SIDES, although actually one logical address can have two
simultaneous sign on sessions ... upper shift system request SIX if I
remember correctly.

It may be that your Info Window has two or more logical addresses, and you
have to know the hot key to get from the wrong session to the main console
session.  Alt JUMP takes you between DSP01, which has a little one in the
lower left corner, and DSP04 which has a little what digit in the lower left
corner ... if that is zero then perhaps DSP04 is your main console.

Normally we could care less about the physical address - what counts is the
logical address

Except for the main console it makes a difference.
The main console needs to be both physical device 0 and logical address 0 on
port 0

There may also be some confusion regarding where QSECOFR can sign on where
... I thought it could ALWAYS sign on at the main console, thus what you got
hooked up might not be the main console, or perhaps there was some confusion
regarding addresses switches physical & logical.

Another thread posted here
Subj:    IBM strikes again!
From:   Justin.Haase@Kingland.com (Haase, Justin C.)
claims
www.as400service.ibm.com
is DOWN right now - I have not looked there recently
and I not know what other IBM sites might be down
for verifying security officer rules you could go to the IBM security rules
site
http://www.as400.ibm.com/tstudio/secure1/advisor/secwiz.htm

Neil says to use
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/service/

We probably need an IBM service where we e-mail them a URL we have been using
& IBM e-mails us back what the rebranded version is ... all automated

Our system printer is PRT02.  That is because it assigned printer names based
on port finding what printers & we left most printers with their original
assignments.

I believe DSP01 is OFTEN the name of a system console.

I do not believe DSP01 is the default name of the system console.

I believe it is the default name of the *FIRST device you attach to a system
that has no preset map of attached devices, and no WRKSYSVAL rules stating
what rules you want to use for naming devices ... DSPOBJD F4 *ALL QSYS *DEVD
if you were able to get into the system but did not have authority to
WRKCFGSTS

Thus, if you CORRECTLY attached address 0 (physical & logical) port 0 on your
very first try, then DSP01 would be the name of your system console, but if
you like me do not get all things right on the first try, then quite possibly
there is a DSP01 & a DSP02 & etc. out there now & none of them are the main
console.

When we do a PRTDEVADR and there's also a menu option to print map of all
local devices, we see QCONSOLE there, but it is not on WRKCFGSTS list.  I
suspect QCONSOLE is a logical rather than a physical designation, although I
have never seen this explained in any manual.

From what you found out from your 170, I hazard a guess that QCONSOLE is the
logical designation for your main console, in which WRKSYSVAL tells the
system to use DSP01 as the main console, but that's your 170.  From other
clues you giving here, I suspect DSP04 may be your main console.

The bricks we have to the normal naked eye look identical if upside down ...
they consist of a dual row of connectors, so which corner is port 0.  If you
have EXTREMELY GOOD EYESIGHT, or a very high powered magnifying glass, you
can see some IBM chicken scratches that identivy which are ports 0 1 2 3 4 5
etc.

If you have the trouble shooting manual, either for the 400 or the
InfoWindow, it should tell you how to read the IBM clues regarding if it is
hooked up right & what address it is on ... you do not have to be signed on
to access this.

Take a look at the bottom of the InfoWindow monitor ... is there a
microscopic drawer there disquised as part of the device's "art work" that
clicks open & out slides a trouble shooting guide?  It also has a bunch of
other useful information regarding how you set the ADDRESS of this device
which should be on PORT 0 of the brick.

Assuming you do not have access to the manual & incidentally I am at home
thinking about this kind of thing from memory.

There may be a SETUP key on the keyboard.

Try this ... power off the device.
Hold down any key (I usually use the space bar)
Power on the device while holding down the key

You should get a screen with information about configurating the device, in
which you manipulate values using the up down & sideways arrow keys.

If you have the patience to experiment, you can always try some
configuration, get to a normal sign on screen, see the number in lower left
corner, power it off again, hold down key & power on again to correlate other
settings.

If you have access to a 170, the addresses are not called addresses any more.
 At some point IBM did a rebranding of the terminology for some of the
innards.  Addresses are now called Switches.  Since some ports can go up to
16 addresses, I do not remember if the high order numbers go hexadecimal.

I wish you luck.  Sometimes when I explain something to my boss, I conclude
by saying I am pretty sure it will work, and I show him my fingers crossed,
and then I cross my ankles, and wrists.  I am crossed for you.

we have a 170 but right now I am e-mailing you from a PC