  • Subject: Re: High availability questions
  • From: D.BALE@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 19:12:00 -0500

I agree that most of us do not need 24/7.  Can we afford 30 minutes
unscheduled downtime?  Yes.  Four hours?  Yes, but my boss starts to hurt me
after that <g>.  24 hours?  Now we're talking some fairly significant losses,
plus OUR REPUTATION with our customers.  Assuming you've got 24x7 IBM support,
what kind of problems are possible that would cause an outage of more than 24
hours?  I've never seen it in my experience in the IBM midrange; maybe I'm
just lucky.

Brad, while I respect your opinions most of the time, I would say that 99% of
the business world would be unable to survive a 6-month cutoff of revenue.  I
have heard that households should build up a 6-month safety net, and I'm doing
my darnedest to get there.  But businesses?

Dan Bale
IT - AS/400
Handleman Company
248-362-4400  Ext. 4952