  • Subject: RE: Reorg of large file
  • From: "Shaw, David" <dshaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 09:50:25 -0500

Martin,

1) If you don't reorg the file, you will gain zero space in it by deleting
the records.  You will get back space in any logicals built over it when
they are updated: immediately if they are MAINT(*IMMED), whenever they're
rebuilt if they're MAINT(*REBUILD), and whenever they get brought up to date
if they're MAINT(*DLY) (note that until they're brought up to date, there
will be update information stored for MAINT(*DLY) paths which will actually
take up MORE space).

2) Reorg time is not predictable from the information you've given.  I
believe IBM has a web page (perhaps in Technical Studio?  I can't remember
now) which specifies how to estimate the time.  I've never used it, though,
so I can't speak to its accuracy.  Note that if you plan to delete the
records and then do the reorg before letting people back into the files,
better performance will be achieved if you delete all logical access paths
or change them to MAINT(*REBUILD) BEFORE you start deleting the records - no
point in updating access paths that you're just going to rebuild as part of
the reorg anyway.

Dave Shaw
Spartan International, Inc.
Spartanburg, SC
---
If you would like to subscribe to the MAPICS-L mailing list send email to
MAPICS-L-SUB@midrange.com or go to www.midrange.com and follow the
instructions.