  • Subject: RE: CGI-RPG performance question
  • From: "Goodbar, Loyd (AFS-Water Valley)" <LGoodbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 08:58:01 -0500

I recompiled everything this morning, and everything works great! What threw
me off was the "binding by reference" the service program to the calling
program. I guess I misread the part where the binder resolves the exports
and procedures required by the calling program.

Wow, I couldn't be more pleased with the speed of web page generation now!
My test report, containing a summary web page and detail web page, generates
extremely quickly. The summary takes 10 seconds to read a database of ~4000
records, send unformatted data to a user space, format the data from the
user space into proper HTML, and create an IFS file of 114K. My detail
report, over the same database, takes 70 seconds to read, store, format, and
create a 3MB web page. I believe this is one of the larger reports we will
be using.

In fact, storing the unformatted data is a non issue. The detail report now
takes less than 10 seconds to read the 4000 records and store the data.
Formatting is the time consumer (60 seconds). However, since this whole
point of the program is to facilitate the creation of tabular reports with
little or no HTML knowledge, this is of little consequence.

Once I get standard output working (should be easy, I already have a
standalone program using standard output) and add departmental lookup to the
report, it should be just slower than coding straight CGI-RPG. (I'm counting
on standard output to be quicker than the IFS.)

Thanks Barbara, Chris, Buck, and Anton for leading me in the right
direction. I'm going to find out if I can post the program on a web page. (I
started the development on my own time at NetShare/400, and brought it into
work when we needed to start web-enabling some reports.)

Loyd