  • Subject: Re: Fads
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <eMail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 12:30:08 -0800

Leif,

Very well put.

The list should have included SAA.  Although a good idea now "road kill"
the fundamental purpose of uniformity is alive and kicking. For example,
since SAA, both the AS/400 and PC's use F1 as the "help" key for the
keyboard challenged.

SAA was an attempt to provide a uniform keyboard "short cuts" and visual
display from mainframe to midrange to PC.

So in a way SAA is still alive (uniform GUI), the debate has changed
from -what- the goal is to -how- the goal is achieved.

There have been several attempts at providing a uniform -how-, but IMHO,
at this point in time, JAVA is in the lead.  (but it's only lunch time
and the day's not over ;-) things could, and will, change)