  • Subject: RE: Web apps on the AS/400
  • From: "Joe Pluta" <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 21:05:27 -0600

John, I've spent a lot of time on this particular question.  In general, I
try to be fair and tell people that certain solutions are better for certain
situations, and each one has its own place.  For example, when I give my
presentations at COMMON, I stress the fact that there are occasions where
screen scrapers are the right solution.

But I'll be honest here.  I'm tired of being PC (Programmatically Correct).
I haven't spent nearly 25 years developing code to sit back now and waffle,
especially when the answers are clear cut.  So here it is:

1. The AS/400 is the best midrange machine on the planet.  Period.
2. RPG and DB2/400 beat any other combination for business rules
development.
3. OO is the best technology to develop tag-based UI.
4. Java is the best commercially available OO language.
5. JavaServer Pages are the best browser-based development solution.

These are my opinions, certainly, but I have coded millions of lines of code
over the years.  I have written operating systems, development tools,
shrinkwrapped packages and custom applications.  I've used ten different
hardware platforms, eight different operating systems (that's NOT counting
variants) and over a dozen languages, three of which I wrote myself.

Tell me how procedural code is better than OO for designing widgets.  And
then have the code to back it up.  Show me another commercially viable OO
language that runs on as many platforms as Java.  Explain to me how CGI is a
better UI model than JSP.  It can't be done.  My list, while surely based on
opinion, is awfully hard to contest in fact.

Now, I don't dispute the fact that there are times when the best is the
enemy of the good.  Like I said, screen scrapers have their place: namely,
when you've lost the source to an application but need to get it on the web.
Similarly, CGI-RPG has a place: in shops that refuse to learn Java, or are
running their machine at 99+% CPU already.  But like screen scraping,
CGI-RPG is a dead-end technique that adds nothing to your technological
toolbox - as they used to say at Digital, it's "a bag on the side of the
box".  And I'm tired of seeing it promoted as anything but a bandaid and a
shortcut.

Sure, use CGI-RPG to learn the browser.  Use screen scrapers for tactical
solutions.  Heck, get FrontPage and put up a website.  It doesn't hurt.  But
don't expect me to sit here and say with a straight face that CGI-RPG or
screen scrapers are an architecturally sound approach for any sort of
strategic development.  In my oh so obviously not very darned humble
opinion, they simply aren't.

<grumble>

And ONE of these days I'll stop beating around the bush and say what I
mean... <grin>