  • Subject: Re: Importing Data from System36 to NT
  • From: nina jones <ddi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 08:25:56 -0600

> Does anyone know of a way I can import file data from a System36 to an NT
> server?  Unfortunately, the client does not have an AS/400 and the System 36
> is on its own twinax network.  Can I use a 5250 emulator card in a PC and
> somehow do a file transfer?  Does anyone know of a software package that can
> do this?

oh man, a tour down memory lane!

the answer is, 'it depends'.

ibm's p/c support does file transfers, and we used to do file transfers
on the 36, but it's been 10+ years now.

before p/c support did file transfers, we wrote some software to do it,
but it was really primitave! and slow.

i believe other vendors emulation products did file transfers too.  so
the answer depends on the emulation software you are using, and whether
it supports transfers.

some other potential issues are how are the files defined, and do you
have packed or binary data in them?   be sure to check this out very
carefully!

nj