  • Subject: Re: A/400 as e-mail server
  • From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 08:44:52 -0500

We have a customer which uses Exchange or Outlook and NO virus scanning
software on their email server.  Several key people here are loaded into
their address book.  They pass out more virus's than a crack wh*re.
Thankfully we are using Domino and the Trend Micro product to scan all
email for virus.  And we have it set up to download a new pattern file from
Trend 4 times a day.  We are on pattern file 859.  They jumped 4 numbers
just yesterday evening alone.  Something about N*ked Wife virus.  There is
NO way we would use a simple POP server and expect all of our PC's to
download from the Internet multiple times a day to constantly upgrade their
virus pattern files.

Many home PC users do not purchase a virus package.  Many of those that do,
probably haven't updated their pattern files since day of purchase.  And
those that do update, probably need to do it more frequently.  I just went
from 3 to 4 times a day yesterday.

Rob Berendt

==================
Remember the Cole!

                    Larry Bolhuis

                    <lbolhuis@arbsol.co        To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com

                    m>                         cc:     jon.paris@hal.it

                    Sent by:                   Subject:     Re: A/400 as e-mail
server
                    owner-midrange-l@mi

                    drange.com

                    03/06/01 12:43 PM

                    Please respond to

                    MIDRANGE-L

Jon,

  Frankly it works. We have several customers using it internally and
externally. It's not particularly feature rich (!) but it works, is
free, and has the basic stuff required. It's not particularly obvious
how to stop it from being an open relay, or to have email automatically
forwarded from one mailbox to another but it's in there. As of V4R4 or
so we almost never have to restart anything, lose mail in MSF, or do
much at all to it at all. It's not much load on the system either.

  I would start with it, and if you decide it doesn't do what you need
THEN look at a commercial package.

   - Larry

--
Larry Bolhuis       | Cogito Ergo Vendo iSeries
Arbor Solutions, Inc.    |
MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
david@midrange.com