  • Subject: RE: Interface with Word
  • From: "Walden H. Leverich" <WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 09:09:01 -0500

Word is a great solution for this, but I'll add one caveat. The Client
Access rexec daemon won't work for this application in an NT environment. In
95/98/ME the daemon runs as a application in the user space, but in the NT
world it runs as an NT service. Ever have a service attempt to open a GUI
application? Unless the application has been designed to accommodate this
(word hasn't) it doesn't work .

We ended up writing a small PC application to handle to communications for
us. Nice icon in the icon tray, better error handling and logging and a
consistent interface between 95/98/ME and NT/W2K. Maybe 50 lines of VB on
the client and 50 lines of RPG on the 400.

-Walden