Alex, the reason I haven't enlisted more aid from those of you who are so
kind to offer help is threefold:

1. Jeff Silberberg has been kind enough to run me pretty much through the
gamut of things to try.  It's up to me whether I want to do some of them
(such as renumbering to a private Class C net).

2. My machine is way behind on PTFs, so I hate to waste more time on what
could conceivably be just a PTF issue.

3. My new machine comes in Thursday, and I hope I'll be past these problems.

Now, if the 270 acts the same way, then rest assured I'll gladly bend your
ear until this puppy comes up.  But regardless, I greatly appreciate the
help and support.