"Loon box" is a new one on me, but I like it - are you sure that's not a
comment on the Rochester facility?

I am not certain from your description if you are saying the whole "loon
box" or "port connector" is missing. In your first message, you said we went
from slot #7 on the 500, through an "ethernet cable", to the "port
connector", to the missing terminal. But then in the next post you say "the
ethernet cable, coming from the model 500, was plugged into one of the
terminals".

So is the whole "loon box" missing, or just something between the "loon box"
and the terminal?

I have heard the box that plugs into the workstation controller card and has
twinax connectors on the other end referred to by Rochester as a "drop down
box".

"Big connector with two pins" definitely sounds like a twinax connector. If
what you call an "ethernet cable" looks like a phone wire terminated by an
RJ11 or RJ45 connector (like a telephone plug), then I suspect that it is
not really an ethernet cable, but just a twisted-pair cable. If we've got a
twinax connector on one end and an RJ connector on the other, then maybe
your missing piece is a balun, which you should be able to buy from
somewhere like Black Box. Look at www.blackbox.com and do a catalog search
for "twinax balun" and look at the pictures.

If you are missing the whole "loon box" or "port connector" or "drop down
box", I bet you have to get that from IBM or a used IBM equipment dealer.
Maybe the AS/400 System Handbook would have some pictures or feature codes
or something to help you. If you have any of your hardware service manuals,
something useful might be in there.

-Marty