  • Subject: Re: QIC tapes are always a mystery to me
  • From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 15:24:58 -0500

<rant on>
IBM has tried it's best to confuse us on QIC drives.  First of all they
tried color coding.  Grey button = 120, Blue=525MB.  Then they actually
started printing the size on the door.  That got to be too friendly and not
sexy enough so they started changing from a size on the door to some
strange model designator.  Meanwhile, for several releases of OS they had
WRKHDWRSC and I think STRSST set to return the same model for a QIC
regardless of the actual physical model.  The goal was to run up costs for
them because then they had to send out a service person to figure out what
model of tape drive instead of being told that from Service Director.  I
think they've seen the error of this last folly.
<rant off>

Do you have something printed on the door of the tape drive?  If so, what
is it?
WRKHDWRSC TYPE(*STG)
Look for 'Tape Controller' or 'Storage Controller' then take option 9 to
work with resource.  Once you've done this, what is the Type-model?
Then if you press F1 for help on INZTAP for the DENSITY parameter you might
get lucky and see a match.  I wasn't at our company.
From        From front       Suggested
WRKHDWRSC   of drive         DENSITY for INZTAP
6381        2GB              *QIC2GB
6386        MLR3 (Isn't      probably limited to *CTGTYPE or *DEVTYPE.
            that sexy and
            informative?)
            = 25gb

Rob Berendt

==================
Remember the Cole!

                    "Charly Jones"

                    <charly301@hotmail.        To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com

                    com>                       cc:

                    Sent by:                   Subject:     QIC tapes are
always a mystery to me
                    owner-midrange-l@mi

                    drange.com

                    02/27/01 02:25 PM

                    Please respond to

                    MIDRANGE-L

Seems to me that whenever I have a QIC tape in my hand the tape drive on
the
machine in front of me won't read _that_ particular tape...

So the other day, I was trying to make a tape for a machine that I think
has
a 2 gigabyte drive.  I tried 4 different tapes with various cryptic
manufacturer's labels on them, initializing each one with DENSITY(*CTGTYPE)
in order to discover what density the media was.  All were greater than
2GB.
  So I dug around in the media cabinet and finally found a tape that is
manufactured by IBM and it says "MLR1 2GB" and also that it is 2GB
uncompressed and 4GB compressed.  Eureka! I have it, I thought to myself.

Since the media was known to be 2GB, I did my INZTAP with DENSITY(*QIC2GB).
It initailized to *QIC5010 with a warning message something to the effect
that it had done me a favor.

I wasn't able to figure out from the help text what *QIC5010 is, and I was
frustrated and out of time, so I went ahead and saved my stuff.  I am
hoping
I will be able to restore to a 2GB QIC drive.  Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks for your help,

Charly Jones
Geezer in Gig Harbor

david@midrange.com