  • Subject: Disk issue: More arms versus improved hardware
  • From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 08:18:15 -0500

I've heard this argument that more arms is better quite often.  But
sometimes I wonder if it is true versus improved performance of the newer
hardware.  For example, let's say you could get IBM PC original 10MB hard
drives into a single level storage machine like the AS/400.  How many of
them would it take to give you the performance of the 8gb drive?  Or could
it ever be done?

I will admit the 17gb drive is better left for non performance critical
applications.  We use them on a secondary ASP for backing up our PC's using
ADSM.

Rob Berendt

==================
Remember the Cole!

                    Larry Bolhuis

                    <lbolhuis@arbsol.co        To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com,
"Carley, Neil"
                    m>                         <carleyn1@Midas-Kapiti.com>

                    Sent by:                   cc:

                    owner-midrange-l@mi        Subject:     Re: Disk issue

                    drange.com

                    02/26/01 04:06 PM

                    Please respond to

                    MIDRANGE-L

Neil, (Sorry about the name mixup last post!)

  More arms are good almost no matter how you do it. I would certainly
add 8s rather than more 17s. If you get enough arms in total then the
17s you currently have will be utilized less as the work is spread
across the new drives. Also since late last year the 10K RPM drives are
less money than the 7200 RPM versions so get those for sure.  Once
installed (and the system balances out) you should see that the 8G units
are somewhat less than twice as busy as the 4s because of the faster
speed of the units.

  If you could swing it (which is not always possible) leave the 4s in
place and swap the 17s for more 8s.  This will help performance and
remove a potential I/O bottleneck. Or best case pull em ALL out and load
up on 10K RPM 8G drives across the board. (hey we can Dream can't we???)

  - Larry

--
Larry Bolhuis       | Cogito Ergo Vendo iSeries
Arbor Solutions, Inc.    |
MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
david@midrange.com