  • Subject: RE: MIDRANGE-L Digest V4 #172
  • From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 13:39:55 -0500

What do you mean lack of a GUI?  Windows doesn't have a GUI if I insist on
using TELNET to access it.  The interface is defined by the application.
Are you using Operations Navigator or 5250?  Are you using a browser or C/S
based application, or 5250?  The problem is that the 400 gives you freedom
of choice and people can't handle that.

If more people used Operations Navigator then perhaps some of the concerns
could be worked out.  My biggest problem is speed.  My second, is
flexiblity.  Let's face it, for green screens, the AS/400 5250 interface is
second to none.  For example if I want to change the properties on many
objects I can place an option in front of all the objects and enter the new
value in the command line.  Sample WRKUSRPRF DAR*, place a 2 in front of
them all and at the command line enter PWDEXP(*YES) and will change them
all.

Rob Berendt

==================
Remember the Cole!

                    "Bob Cozzi"

                    <bobcozzi@attglobal        To:
<MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com>
                    .net>                      cc:

                    Sent by:                   Subject:     RE: MIDRANGE-L
Digest V4 #172
                    owner-midrange-l@mi

                    drange.com

                    02/26/01 12:53 PM

                    Please respond to

                    MIDRANGE-L

I think I was complaining about marketing. And I wish my staff had the
option to leave to go to other AS/400 sites. That ability is quickly being
eliminated as people start ill-fated NT projects to replace their 400s.

Also, if Mercedes equates to an AS/400, then how do you explain the lack of
a Graphical User Interface, native on the AS/400 in the year 2001?

Also, when you go into buy a Corvette (which I have done) you get treated
like a king, (granted the dealer does try to screw you, but they figure if
you can afford a Corvette they won't try quite as hard <g>.

My big problem, however, is that it typically costs you a significant fee
above and beyond the AS/400's cost, just to buy the thing. I'm talking
about
administration and legal paperwork fees.

So could you still afford a $40k to $60k Corvette if it cost you another
$10k to $20k in time, money, administration/staff overhead, and legal fees?
I think you'd go buy a Mazda Miata.

The difference is that Corvette deals know their clients. IBM also knows
their clients, but the IBM staff that deals with the customers has little,
if any, knowledge of their clients--they only know quota and the "punch
list".

I don't agree, however, that the AS/400 is a Corvette or a Merc, or Lexus,
or anything else. Today, except for speed and ease of use, all computer
hardware is interchangeable. Only the application of software makes it
different.

From: Lurton Keel <LKeel@unarcorack.com>
Subject: RE: [RPGIV] AS/400 is dead long live iSeries? (fwd)

I guess your point of view is whether your income is related to the
proliferation of 400(iseries) or whether your income is based on working
for
a company that owns a 400(iseries).  Consultants, publishers, etc.  fall in
to the former while I fall in to the latter.  I am not really concerned
with
whether the iseries is in every computer room in the world, I am only
concerned with the perpetuation of the series.  IBM doesn't have to sell
100,000 per year.  I only need a new one every 5 years and an upgrade every
2 years.  Some of the shops around can run their business applications on
Dell servers and so what if they are down a couple of times a month, they
were cheap to buy and they get to see those sexy Dell advertisements and
commercials.  I don't really want anyone to sell them an iseries (they
wouldn't have anything about which to complain).  I drive a shiny red 2000
Corvette and I don't want everyone to have one.  Chevrolet doesn't market
the 'Vette the way BMW or Mercedez does but that is ok by me.  Chevrolet
sells all the Corvettes they can make.  My 'Vette gets 28 miles to the
gallon, will do 165 mph, does 0-40 in 4.8 seconds is designed to survive
150
mph crashes and the blue-haired ladies in the parking lot can't ding it
with
their doors since the body is plastic.  It also costs less than my buddy's
2000 Ford Expedition and I still don't want everyone to have one.
If every time IBM sells an iseries to a new customer, you have a potential
customer, then complain about IBM marketing.
If every time IBM sells an iseries to a new customer and you worry about
losing some of your staff, then don't complain.

MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
david@midrange.com