  • Subject: Re: Display station connection question/issue?
  • From: "Neil Palmer" <neilp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:40:22 -0500

When I've had this occur in the past (pure twinax, no baluns & twisted
pair) it was usually a polarity error where two consecutive twinax cables
were wiring wrong, reversing the polarity as the signal reached the
workstation in the middle, followed by another incorrectly wired cable
reversing the polarity to the next workstation.  The one in the middle
would not come up as the polarity is reversed, but the next one on the
line would come up as the polarity was reversed again before reaching it.
Other possibilities often not though of are that it is possible to have
cables that are too short. I don't know what the length would be when
using baluns & twisted pair wiring, but with straight twinax the minimum
cable length is approximately six feet.
Another possible issue is that I don't believe cable-thru (daisy chaining)
is officially supported using baluns & twisted pair wiring.  It may work,
it may not.  Usually I restrict this to daisy chaining one device using
twisted pair wiring and baluns off the end of a twinax cable line.  The
balun & twisted pair wiring is intended to be used from a twinax hub,
connected to the twinax controller, in a star wiring configuration out to
the terminals.

...Neil

"Mark Allen" <mark.allen@fast-friends.com>
Sent by: owner-midrange-l@midrange.com