  • Subject: Specs for what MFRTYPMDL(*IBM42011) supports
  • From: "Shaw, David" <dshaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 11:38:21 -0500

Hey, y'all!

We have a big, ugly Xerox printer (a 4850, if that means anything to anyone)
which we print special forms jobs on, using proprietary Xerox $#!+ to
specify the form overlays.  We just switched from using it with a local
twinax connection into their box to a remote TCP/IP Ethernet connection,
which involved changing from a device description which specified 5225
emulation to a remote output queue using Host Print Transform, a custom
*WSCST, and MFRTYPMDL(*IBM42011).  Now we're having problems printing our
purchase orders.  The print file for these is defined as Length 88 and
Overflow 80.  We have a total line that is supposed to print on line 70, but
for some reason the thing is inserting a form feed and printing the total up
high on the second page.  One hypothesis we have is that a real IBM 42011
might not be able to print past line 66 or so, and that Host Print Transform
is trying to be helpful by plugging in an extra form feed.  However, I have
no clue how to find out if that's true, other than asking here.

Please note that we're talking to Xerox about this, but they don't seem to
have done this kind of thing very often before.  I get the feeling that
we're guinea pigs, and that they don't know much more than we do.  I would
love to be able to say "Let's change the MFRTYPMDL to *xxxxxxxx" and have it
work.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Dave Shaw
Spartan International, Inc.