  • Subject: Re: High Availability
  • From: "oludare" <oludare@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 18:12:44 -0500

IMO, I think mirroring and using a product like Mimix is some sort of
duplication. Explanation: you create a backup copy of your system when you
mirror the entire system which gives you the ability to recover from disk
failure or damage.  Mimix on the other hand will copy your data to another
system or same system giving you a backup copy of all objects you configure
Mimix to backup.  In my old job, we use Mimix to duplicate our production to
our development system and use switches to turn develpment to production
when there is a problem or during some maintenance.  That was a Wall Street
environment.

I will advice that you:
A.    Mirror your base drives where your operating system reside and raid
rest of your DASD.
B.    Use Mimix if you have a second box and configure Mimix and the box for
production.
C.    Do not use Mimix if you Mirror the entire system and you only have one
box.
D.    Use Mimix if you only have one box for all data not including OS400
and Mirror base drives.
E.    Let IBM configure your boxes for a long lasting, reliable UPS.

Oludare