  • Subject: Re: HTTPS on an iSeries Server?
  • From: Sean Porterfield <sporter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:42:09 -0500

MEovino@ESTES-EXPRESS.COM wrote:

> >> If I have separate test and production servers on separate boxes, do I
> need
> >> to get two certificates, or can I use the same one on both boxes?
>
> >If the test box is for your use and not for the public, it's possible. I
> >think you need the server key as well as the certificate.  I haven't
> >tried it....
>
> The test box is also the recovery box in case our production box goes down,
> so I guess I'll need two certificates.  No big deal.

If my previous statement was correct, then you should only need one
certificate.  When your backup box is put into production, it will
become www.estes-express.com and the certificate will match the name.

> So unless you FORCE someone to use 128 bit encryption (like my broker
> does), I can buy myself a 128 bit certificate and any SSL compliant browser
> will be able to communicate at whatever encryption level it can handle?

Yes, that is my understanding.

> Sounds cool!  I wholeheartedly agree with not using less than 128 bit
> encryption, but I also know that I can't force my users to download new
> browsers.

I agree.  My credit union "forced" me into it, but that's the banking
industry.