  • Subject: [Fwd: AS/400 NetServer]
  • From: AIV <aiv@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 01:46:50 +0100

Folks, sorry, in my previous question (same subject) I forgot to mention
we have already configured in the NetServer's properties (on of the
displays shown thru Op's Nav.) that our NT 4.0 is the WINS Server, but
it seems that doesn't help...
--
Antonio Fernandez-Vicenti
aiv@ctv.es

Hi, folks,
I have a strange problem in one of my customers, recently installed
V4R5.

Starting AS/400 NetServer starts QZLSSERVER and the four (4) Netbios
connections can be seen in NETSTAT *CNN, but this lasts just 30
seconds... After that, message CPIB683 is sent to QSYSOPR with reason
code 6 and return code 3204 (I think; sorry, I can't remember the exact
figure...). The help for that message only adds some info for reason 6
and return code '16' meaning a duplicate name may be in the network, but
no info for other return condes... Where can I find the meaning for the
rest of return codes of reason code 6 ?
No JobLogs show up; only a final message saying NetServer could not be
started...

What does the 30 seconds lifetime means? Is it in any way related to the
typical 30 seconds other jobs asume for lock-wait on some objects,
records, or the like? I can't find any such value (30 secs) in the
definition of NetServer properties, nor anywhere else.

One more related question, we are using a NT 4.0 as WINS Server. The
documentation I found so far mentions that once NetServer is configured
and up and running, we should add its name to either the network DNS
server, or WINS server or to local LMHOSTS file...
As mentioned, we are using WINS on the NT 4.0, but to my knowledge, the
WINS Server "gathers" all the information of all PC's in the net as the
come up in the network, but we never had to "add manually" each
individual PC to any WINS list in the WINS Server... What does exactly
mean the phase "we should add the AS/400 NetServer to the WINS Server" ?

Could that be the reason for the failure of NetServer starting Netbios
connections after the 30 seconds mentioned above?

Thanks to all,
--
Antonio Fernandez-Vicenti
aiv@ctv.es