  • Subject: Re: Television Appearance
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 13:31:54 EST

CNN Money Line Bottom Line had a report on IBM that I saw Fri Jan 19

There was no specific mention of any particular model line or technologies
such as servers/400.

The report was that in a recent spate of doom & gloom in computer technology
companies due to downturn in PC purchases, IBM surprised Wall Street by
having latest earnings considerably above Market predictions & the TV program
was analysing how come & what the future earnings potential was of IBM stock.

IBM recent success was attributed to several things, that I think IBM has
been doing for some time, except for the recent ad campaign which was
mentioned but down played.

There is the notion that IBM corporation is a master at clever accounting,
but is not doing a great job selling.  The appeal of IBM to potential
customers is the one stop shopping diversity of everything a company might
want for computer infrastructure.

From any other computer company it is a struggle for business customers to
figure out what works effectively, what is missing from their packages, and
getting hardware & software to work together without a hassle, but IBM is
into full solutions, good service for customers, get everything you need &
have it work out of the box with no surprises.

IBM Stock is fully priced and not expected to fluctuate much.

I thought they did a good story.

I did not see any content to argue with.

There was no appearance of restating common misconceptions about IBM
products, like the people who put this story together checked their facts, a
journalistic concept that is often forgotten in the media of today.

The only distortion I saw was the notion that IBM is doing all this good
stuff in recent times & that is why their profits were up.  The reality is
that everything, that the TV story illuminated, IBM has been doing for some
time, so CNN really did not explain how come IBM did so well with increased
mainframe sales & PC sales in the last quarter, within the context of the
threads they chose to cover.

For anyone who had been ignorant about IBM in the past, the story was a good
sales job pointing out why a company would do well to consider using IBM in
the future.

IBM Corporate should be pleased with this CNN story.

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838