  • Subject: Re: Can a PF have >1 record format?
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 17:05:55 EST

I checked out some programs & could not find what I had said I remembered we
had, so I could well be wrong about some things I had said.

Domenico Finucci had asked about RECORD format in DDS so I checked that also.

All of ours follow very similar format ... one or two lines associated with
the R, then a bunch of lines for each of the fields in that record.

File name HCIF (Purchased Raw Maerials connected to which Customer End Items)
A* format name has to be 8 characters or less
A R IPHCIF
A* then I have chart of naming convention for the fields of the file
& then the fields defined

File name VJTWU (External Object definition that only contains data when the
programs running)
R VJTWUDS TEXT('Where Used Data Structure')
Is the ONLY line for RECORD format of an externally described data structure
where I have one program passing an item of interest to a called program
which populates the data structure that both programs share.
Each of the fields of this structure has 2 lines such as:
WUIT01 R
COLHDG('Item #'' 'Whr-Used' '01/24')
REFFLD(IPROD)
WUCS01 R
COLHDG('Item'' 'Class '01/24')
REFFLD(IPROD)
Then this is repeated for all 24 elements of the 2 interlocking arrays

File name ECLL70 (Logical ECL by Warehouse/Customer/Item - Active) used for
defining temporary members associated with reports different selections
concurrently by different users
R IPE500CL
TEXT('Order Line Items')
PFILE(ECL)
then I have the keys & selection

I hope this helps Domenico Finucci with what he was looking for

Some of our file naming is due to our ERP package, which I think is
unneccessarily obtuse.  I do not see why format names cannot just be same
name as their files.

Weird transmissions from customers is one of the reasons my employer
abandoned EDI - we were spending too much time futzing with software to
interpret their data ... EDI had certain standards ... different trading
partners had different violations of of the EDI standards that they were
allegedly using ... different employees at these companies had their own
variants ... so our software got an EDI transmission ... searched through for
a particular header type that we knew from experience they not violating the
standards of, then get at which customer this is, so now the program knows
which set of customer variants to the standard EDI rules are in this
transmission, now search for the record type that specifies what part model
line is involved & from that know which set of end user rules at that
customer is in effect, until that person changes their mind again & not
notify anyone.

In other words the deal with "this format has certain layout" "and "the codes
for this field has certain significance" and "next N records will be that
layout" was not something we could depend upon.

Processing the data was via analysis of each record based on analysis of
prior records to determine what the format must be, then a humongous CASE
statement (several pages of compile long) which took us to a subroutine in
which the first step was to copy the entire incoming record into a data
structure whose layout was unique to this record format scenario.

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838