  • Subject: Re: Password Validation API
  • From: Mel Rothman <melrothman@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 17:08:16 -0600

A problem with Get Profile Handle is that if the password is incorrect, the
incorrect password count is increased.

A kludge that might work would be to have a temporary user ID with a known
password for the purpose of validating passwords.  Logic would be:

Use QSYCHGPW (Change User Password) to change the temporary user's password to
the password being validated.

Use QSYRUPWD (Retrieve Encrypted Password) twice to retrieve both the temporary
user's and the targeted user's encrypted passwords.

If the two encrypted passwords match, the password is valid; else, it is
invalid.

Use QSYCHGPW to change the temporary user's password back to a known value.

If there is a risk that multiple instances of this logic will be hitting the
temporary user ID concurrently, each instance could create and destroy its own
temporary user profile.

Mel Rothman