  • Subject: Re: Objectconnect speed
  • From: "Alexei Pytel" <pytel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 09:59:30 -0600

While it's true thatObjectConnect will save object(s) into save file etc,
it does not use SNADS. I have seen this misconception before in this list.
ObjectConnect uses APPC to connect to remote system.
As an APPC application it is subject to all SNA/APPN/APPC tuning parameters
- frame size, pacing, RU size, LLC window size etc.
It's true that by default it is assumed to be background low-priority task,
but you can tune it to be as aggressive as you want.

It is certainly doable to do the same thing via FTP - save objects to save
file, transfer save file, restore objects.
By the way, since the amount of work to do is the same, I doubt it will
work faster. Of course, if you are able to tune communication configuration
- default TCP/IP parameters allow better performance
But if you have direct APPC connection between two systems I do not see a
reason to duplicate a programming effort to do something which is already
available.

Best regards
    Alexei Pytel

KirkG@PacInfoSys.com@midrange.com on 01/03/2001 09:13:40 PM