  • Subject: Re: 400 report to PC file
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 02:20:44 EST

Thanks for all the suggestions for me to work through.
Wed nite I created a file 2 ways

1. CRTPF source physical file
Open a member & F15 into it from some report in which it only got 120
characters ... I experimented with wider targets & still had 120 chop off
point.

2. Copy RPG that creates report so as to output to DDS 132 wide unkeyed file
instead of to printer.

I messaged my people asking that they try to transmit BOTH files to our
auditors & provide feedback on whether both were acceptable & what problems
needed addressing.  Well they sent both & the reaction was like investors in
MPS Railroad Tycoon = ECSTATIC ... apparently several co-workers had been
futzing with this for a week before they asked for my help & in one nite I
had 2 alternative approaches appearing to be operational & they ignoring my
"well this is just a test file, not ready for regular usage, and I need to
figure out if the 120 chop off is non-solveable" & they found my thinking
unacceptable "this process is probably too cumbersome for users unfamiliar
with the tools ... in a pressure deadline scenario high risk of accidents."

Instead I have been doing 10-15 minute lessons ... here is how YOU can take
ANY 400 spool file report to a PDM source document & hey when you on that
second session to research report you want let's move it up top to simplify
the F4 search & before you do anything else please key SAVE on that line
right there & next work with F20 to see where it is chopped off relative to
the original ... then we go into client access & click on the library file
member & import it into some PC application like Word & I am telling them how
to fix the width of the style to eliminate the line wraparound, then parting
words ... in this demo we copied the whole report, but we could have used
string search to get beginning & end of just one customer so it could go into
an attachment to send that customer, and if you find the F1 cumbersome to
navigate I do have an SEU manual.

Of course I am never happy ... ECSTATIC users begging for lessons HOW they
can do this should be an MIS dream ... instead I want to argue with my boss
... silence from auditors so nothing can be wrong ... I read this as
implementation euphoria where happiness with some new service blinds the
users to its imperfections & after reality sets in & they really using it,
they may find out it is really no good.

An open question I need to research is how does the AS/400 keep track of
reports in spool files in PC access terms ... when they are in Client Access
or Ops Navigator they want to see if they can click on a 400 report directly
& not import it into some intermediate file.

Well this led to me doing a lesson on locating their Job # & the fact that I
think the File # on Spool File or WRKUSRJOB 8 F10 is the sequence of reports
created by that session, and how to find out what library the reports are in,
but I not really sure why WRKOBJ PRT02 just has the *OUTQ and *DEVD while
WRKOUTQ shows several outqs called PRT02 that are not on WRKOBJ & this is not
a libary list issue because I checked this with *ALL libraries.

But so far I have not been able to give my PC guru a specific path he can use
to get at a spool file report like say
QSYS /
LIBRARY that contains the *OUTQ /
JOB# of the user that created the report /
USER name involved /
SESSION name or JOBQ name /
FILE name assigned by the program /
DOCUMENT FILE# of the report within the JOB# /
MEMBER if relevant

Are there any such navigational directions?

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838