  • Subject: RE: accessing the records in a history file
  • From: "Mark A. Manske" <mmanske@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 14:00:29 -0600

Title: RE: accessing the records in a history file
I see your point
However; it has worked well here, the history files have been basically stable for the last five years, besides, anything added to the files beginning today, we know that we do not have the data to put there in the old files - about two years ago we did add a few new fields - to the end of the physical file, the old files where left with level check *no, and they have been excluded from the newer reports since the data was never there in the first place.  If you have the data to place in the history file, why would you need it there anyhow has been my philosophy - I hate to clutter up dasd with duplicate data "if" I can avoid it.

We did try to merge these files, the logicals and high usage of the files killed our little box, the detail has 9 logicals already, and the whole challenge has been for this new staff to live with, since we do not have the time nor can we make a ROI justification for doing things right after the previous team of professionals left in mass - most of them came from a S/34-S/36 background; and it shows in all the home grown code and even how the AS/400 was set up - ROI just is not there, so we clean up and make corrections as we can - some will never happen, some will have to even if management does not want it to...

As with all suggestions, comments, and experience contained with-in this list and our minds -
you must first see if it applies to where you are now,
the corporate environment
the desired results
the time frame you have been given
the funds you are allotted
the tools you have
the hardware you have to live with (wouldn't it be nice to be on the max config of an AS/400)
the people you must deal with
and lastly your comfort level to do the right thing for your company....

just another two cents, ahhh possibly a dime ;)