  • Subject: Re: Firewall & SSL before AS/400
  • From: "Mike Silvers" <msilvers@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 13:48:33 -0500

Simone,

We have two AS/400's connected to the internet.  One is our web server and
e-mail server.  The other is our development box.  We are using SSL in the
development box and SSL for secured web serving on the web server box.  We
use a Cisco router with access lists as our firewall.  All works well for
us.  We have a client that has a different situation.  They are using the
AS/400 as an e-mail server, and they have two remote locations in different
states.  They have two leased lines, one for the connection to the remote
sites and the other for their connection to the internet.  They have a
router with two serial ports, one for each line.  They then have  a firewall
product to split the traffic and limit the internet traffic.  After working
out the bugs, all is working well for them.

For us the SSL works well.  There is one problem with the SSL setup.  There
are some issues with the IFS when trying to look at and manipulate files on
the IFS.  I need to contact IBM about this.  The problem is that when in the
SSL mode, when I try to click on a file on the IFS, the program ends in
error and I need to start Ops Nav up again.

If you have any questions about the setup of SSL, feel free to e-mail me.

Mike