  • Subject: Re: Sending Physical File thru ECSLINE
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 16:00:42 EST

> From: billc@virtutec.com (Bill Carpenter)
>
>  I need to send a Physical File via the QESLINE.  This is for some EDI
>  data transmission and the other company that wants the data says this
>  is possible but they do not know how to do it.
>
>  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

You will need correct software on both ends - your end & the other company
end - to work data going through the ECSLINE ... just about any company that
is in the business of servicing AS/400 clients via the ECSLINE has such
software & should be able to help you.

You will need software to receive & process incoming file, prepare file to
send.
With EDI there is also a need to verify you got & correctly interpreted the
data.
This often includes hash totals of the total bytes sent, control totals that
are human readable of what is in the data to be processed.  You ought to take
a look at what official EDI packages have to offer.

Then there is the issue of who pulls the strings regarding changes in future
realities.  My management has a philosophy of "The customer is always right"
which can be extremely expensive when there are brain dead humans in the
chain of requests to MIS.  Some buyer person at a customer site wants the
data reorganized a certain way & they go to THEIR MIS & be rejected, so now
they go to our customer service rep & make the same request & now I have to
do the programming, which takes me a few weeks to get it right & tested so
that it is fulfilling what they asking for, but the buyer person changes his
or her mind at internet speed, so 3 days into the program modification I have
a new request that adds to the complexity & 2 days later another, and in
point of fact this stuff is actually coming from more than one customer.

Some time later there is a program from these customers to compensate their
vendors for costs of implementing EDI, so we submit our bill, which is
refused because it is 1,000 times higher than their budget.  After a while my
management decides to abandon EDI totally & go back to the old way of doing
things.  We have been off EDI now for 3 years.

At the time, I felt that what we needed was EDI II, where you can have
rules-based processing of when customers or vendors are not using official
EDI standards for particular fields & the software can say "oh it is this
customer item PO ... rule # 123456 is the one to follow here"

I hope I have managed to communicate that EDI can be a can of worms & what
you are attempting may appear to short circuit the costs & complexity but
down the road you are asking for a lot of grief ... you are much better off
getting the best EDI package you can afford & putting in place some change
management in which the very top of management of both firms approves
modifications before MIS starts.

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838