  • Subject: Re: SQL-defined files/tables
  • From: D.BALE@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 16:57:00 -0500

>>So my question is whether I lose any functionality by
>>defining a database file using SQL vs. DDS?

>The only one that comes to mind is the indexed logical
>file. It can't be created with SQL. Views don't have
>indexes. This isn't a problem if you're retrieving the
>data with SQL, which will use the best available index
>automatically.

So a "view" would be like a non-keyed logical?

What about an "index"?  Is that an access path without a "view"?  Would you
use an index in conjunction with a table or a view?  What are the object types
of a table, view, and index?  PF, LF, and "??"?

Dan Bale
IT - AS/400
Handleman Company
248-362-4400  Ext. 4952