  • Subject: RE: Y2K heads up - is this troub
  • From: "Neil Palmer" <neilp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 21:43:47 -0500

Actually I've never met anyone who refers to it as "Twenty One o'clock".  The term is "Twenty One hundred" or "Twenty One Hundred hours".

D.BALE@handleman.com
Sent by: owner-midrange-l@midrange.com

2000/12/05 12:42
Please respond to MIDRANGE-L

        To:        MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
        cc:

Well, I'll be!  I must lead a sheltered life!  Do the British do this as well?
Or is this strictly a non-English trait?

Telling someone here in the states that you'll meet him at twenty-one o'clock
would likely net you a blank stare.  Excepting the military and computer
technologists.

>If I say to an american "call kme at 8", we do not know if I mean AM or PM.

OTOH, if I say "call me at 3", you'll learn soon enough that the 15:00 is
implied!  Context usually determines whether or not to use AM/PM.  "We're
having dinner at 5:30."  "The managers meeting is at 2:30."  "She was born at
1:30AM yesterday."

Dan Bale
IT - AS/400
Handleman Company