  • Subject: RE: Processing Tape Files
  • From: Joel Fritz <JFritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 09:37:36 -0800

The simple clumsy solution, which could use a lot of tape, is to use
cpytotap or write directly to tape in RPG with qtape defined as a sequential
program described file to put the file on tape.

You can read directly from tape using the sequential file method.  You'll
need to define a data structure to receive the input from the file.

Here's an excerpt from an RPGIII program we use to read directly from tape
in cases where cpyfrmtap chokes on media errors--in RPG you can skip the bad
block(s) with a little error handling.

 FQTAPE   IF  F     750            SEQ
 FOUTFILE O   F     750            DISK
 IFLD1        DS
 I                                        1 250 FLDA
 I                                      251 500 FLDB
 I                                      501 750 FLDC
 C                     READ QTAPE     FLD1         9899