  • Subject: RE: CA Express and Life Certainties (A question appears at the end)
  • From: "Richard Jackson" <richardjackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 09:39:00 -0500

It sounds like you need either a hosts file or a domain name server.  Here
is a hosts file example:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1995 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows NT.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1               localhost

This goes in c:\winnt40\system32\drivers\etc\hosts (no extension on mine).
If the IP stack on your PC knows about the DNS, CAE will call TCP with the
system name.  TCP will call the DNS to resolve the name into an IP address.

Richard Jackson
Richard Jackson and Associates Ltd.
IBM Business Partner
mailto:richardjackson@richardjackson.net