  • Subject: Re: Oops JOBQ perceptions
  • From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 13:32:15 -0500

Many good responses Dan.

Al,

Couple of minor points to add.
IBM's WRKJOBSCDE, (the freebie), will tell you the last time it submitted
the job and what its number and stuff were.  For regularly scheduled jobs,
we submit them from there.  BPCS has a call, if you want to submit their
jobs manually.  It is published and they are happy to send you info if you
have support.  This call will validate security and a bunch of other stuff.
I can look up the name of their program if you want.

For a self submitting job I would suggest looking at the CL code that
AS/SET generates for a batch CL program.  Do you have AS/SET, (you being a
BPCS job and all), or do you need to see sample code?  Standard BPCS
doesn't use most of the CL which AS/SET generates.

To retrieve which job submitted me check out the QUSRJOBI API available at:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pubs/html/as400/v4r5/ic2924/info/apis/qusrjobi.htm

Part of the text reads:
JOBI0300
     This format returns job queue and output queue information for a job,
     as well as information about the submitter's job if the job is a
     submitted batch job.

As far as formatting messages goes...  Are you aware of the formatting
codes available?  For example if you hit F1 in the SECLVL field of the
ADDMSGD command you'll see:
Message help can be formatted for the work station using three
format control characters.  Each must be followed by a blank.

 o  &N    Forces the message help to a new line (column 2).  If the
    help is longer than one line, the next lines are indented to
    column 4 until the end of the help or until another format
    control character is found.

 o  &P  Forces the message help to a new line, indented to column 6.
    If the help is longer than one line, the next lines start in
    column 4 until the end of the help or until another format
    control character is found.

 o  &B  Forces the message help to a new line, starting in column 4.
    If the help is longer than one line, the next lines are indented
    to column 6 until the end of the help or until another format
    control character is found.

Rob Berendt

==================
Remember the Cole!

                    D.BALE@handleman.co

                    m                          To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com

                    Sent by:                   cc:

                    owner-midrange-l@mi        Subject:     Re: Oops JOBQ
perceptions
                    drange.com

                    10/31/00 12:25 PM

                    Please respond to

                    MIDRANGE-L

Good gosh, Al, you must be the world's fastest typist, otherwise how would
you
ever get any real work done?  Do you have a secretary type all this in from
your dictation?  Voice recognition software?

Well, I can take the easy ones...

>1) If I put stuff in QTEMP before launching JOBQ, then I sign
>off, does the batch job have access to that QTEMP story like
>it has access to what was in the LDA when I launched it, or
>is any QTEMP access by a batch job totally independent of the
>interactive job that created the job?

A lot of people seem to have a hard time believing this, but QTEMP is alive
only for the job (i.e. each different job number is a distinct job).
Doesn't
matter whether you sign off or not, nothing ever, EVER copies from one
job's
QTEMP to another job's QTEMP.  Can't be done.

>2)...
Correct.  Variables will not pass between jobs without the benefit of
passing
them as parameters or in a data area.

>3-B ) Right around the point that an interactive job does a submit
>batch job, can it retrieve the identity of the job just launched

  SBMJOB     CMD( ...
  RCVMSG     MSGTYPE( *LAST ) MSGDTA( &MSGDTA ) +
               MSGID( &MSGID ) MSGF( &MSGF ) +
               MSGFLIB( &MSGFLIB )
  CHGVAR     VAR( &JOB  ) VALUE( %SST( &MSGDTA   1  10 ))
  CHGVAR     VAR( &USER ) VALUE( %SST( &MSGDTA  11  10 ))
  CHGVAR     VAR( &NBR  ) VALUE( %SST( &MSGDTA  21   6 ))

Dan Bale
IT - AS/400
Handleman Company
248-362-4400  Ext. 4952