  • Subject: Re: Microsoft Security Failure (should have stayed with AS/400)
  • From: neilp@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 18:21:47 -0500

Looks like Microsoft's Spin Dept. is back from vacation !    :-)

MICROSOFT HAD EYE ON HACKER ALL ALONG, REPORT SAYS

Posted at October 30, 2000 06:50 AM Pacific

IN ITS EFFORTS to downplay the news that hackers might
have compromised source code inside Microsoft's
internal network, the software giant is claiming that
not only did it detect the hacker early on, it also
closely tracked the hacker's movements, according to a
news report published Monday.

Quoting an anonymous source, the Wall Street Journal
said the attack lasted for only 12 days, as opposed to
the five weeks initially reported by Microsoft itself.
Microsoft was aware of the attack when it began and
knew what the hacker was doing all along, according to
the newspaper. Microsoft also feels very comfortable
that it has enough information to help identify the
hacker, the Journal report said.

For the full story:
http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/00/10/30/001030hntrack.xml?1030mnpm

"David Bulog" <d2ba@xtra.co.nz>