  • Subject: RE: TRYING undestanding new AS Iserv
  • From: Scott Mildenberger <Smildenber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 11:22:07 -0600

Dan,

Client/Server apps are non-interactive.  I know there are tools that put a
GUI on green screen apps but I don't know for sure if the workload is then
non-interactive, I would assume so but just not certain.  And your right, if
all your interactive apps were converted to be a non-interactive workload
then you can get the same horsepower for less money.  An idea that I have
had in the back of my mind is converting all our green screen apps so that
the presentation layer is removed from the business logic.  The business
logic would run as batch jobs using data queues (or some other mechanism) to
communicate with the programs that just present the data to the user.  The
first step would make all of the presentation layer green screen programs,
the benefit is that the application looks and acts just like it did before
but now most of the processing is done in 'batch jobs' that pass the display
buffer back to the display programs.  At that point, it would be easy to put
a GUI or Web front end on the programs as it would only be presenting the
data to the user.   The back end would still be the same program performing
the business logic.  I have been considering working out the details and
starting to do any new development with this model and then slowly
converting existing apps but just haven't got around to it.

Scott Mildenberger