  • Subject: Re: Factors and Terms
  • From: "Leif Svalgaard" <leif@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 02:02:25 -0500

From: Richard Jackson <richardjackson@richardjackson.net>

> I must be confused.
>
> Please humor me and identify the numbers (other than 1 and 7) that, when
> multiplied together, equal 7.  Since 7 is itself prime, by definition 7 has
> only two factors - 1 and itself.

it has only one factor, namely 7. If you want to call 1 a factor of 7, then
I'll argue that 7 has seven factors, viz. 7, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, because
undeniably 7 = 7*1*1*1*1*1*1.

To be precise, there is a distinction between a divisor of a number
and a factor of a number. The concept of a divisor is best illustrated
by the example of "perfect numbers". From ancient times the number
itself is not considered a (proper) divisor, but 1 is, viz. the definition
of perfect numbers:

Perfect numbers are those integers which are the sum of their positive
proper divisors. The first three perfect numbers are
6 = 1 + 2 + 3,
28 = 1 + 2 + 4 + 7 + 14, and
496 = 1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + 16 + 31 + 62 + 124 + 248.

A factorization of a number by convention excludes the divisor 1,
in order to maintain the desirable property that every number larger
than 1 can be written as a unique product of prime numbers raised
to integral powers. The factorization of 6 is 6 = 2**1 * 3**1, of 28 is
28 = 2**3 * 7**1, of 7 is 7 = 7**!, etc.

So, by convention, divisors of n include 1 but exclude n, and factors
of n include n, but exclude 1. Fuzzy math does not make that sharp
distinction. One *could* qualify the words by talking about "proper"
divisors and "prime" factors, but that is rarely done.