  • Subject: Re: Intranet on a green screen terminal ?
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 13:14:39 EDT

from Al Macintyre

Seacrest http://www.seacrest.com Deskmaster product extends PC &
internet-like features to green screen users, such as e-mail, group
discussions, the internet itself, fill out a form & the data interfaces with
AS/400 legacy core business apps.   I can dig up more vendor names into stuff
like this if someone wants.  The more common product is going from the AS/400
world, like spool file, to PC & internet, while this is bringing PC &
internet services to the green screen.

That said, understand that you are NOT going to have GUI on a twinax device.
You can NOT run Windows OS off of a green screen terminal.
You can use a mouse, bar code scanner, etc. with some twinax work stations,
but the screen dimensions are totally unsuited to the resolution neccessary
to view Win & browser realities.
You CAN connect a PC to the AS/400 via twinax for which there are a myriad of
connection options.
You CAN put a browser face on traditional AS/400 green screen applications,
such as LANSA SEAGULL & other products, but this is intended for a PC Win
user to be looking at the apps - it is not for the twinax work station user.

If you want to get Web pages etc. to a form that can be read by someone using
a traditional green screen, it is not just a matter of stripping off the HTML
etc. it is also handling the fact that the character resolution might be too
wide for the target screen.  You know how if you do command line RUNQRY *N
then some file name, especially a file with a ton of field names, you have to
F20 to right or F19 to left to see all the data.  You need something similar
to view the web page data sideways.

Or you need to capture the data like to a PC printer, except put it into a
word processor with text wrap-around, so the lines are continuous, then
twinax user access the data via SEU.

Do you ever hire anyone under the US law that says we cannot discriminate
against someone because they have a disability such as being blind?  Such
people can access the internet, using technology that converts text data to
brail, but I would hazard a guess that 99% of the internet is in violation of
that law.  You might look into exactly how that is done & see if that
technology can help you with what you want.

I hope that one of these ideas points you in a practical direction.  And if
you get this all accomplished, I for one would like to know what products you
find that get the job done.  May I ask WHY you trying this?  Is it the fact
that twinax hardware is incredibly stable & inexpensive compared to WinTel?
Is it that you have a huge investment in twinax cables & you think the
current internet reality will be around for a while, so that all you really
need is text translation.  Twinax bandwidth is not going to cut it for some
directions that the internet is headed in.

Alister William Macintyre