  • Subject: Re: locked myself out
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 03:21:54 EDT

I also do SAVE 21 with similar settings but am on V4R3 ... when the only
console running is the main console doing a backup & there is some message ...

Press upper shift system request & enter ... that is the attention key ...
you get a line across the bottom of the screen in which if you happen to have
memorized the numbers you can take a hidden option there, but I always press
enter to see the menu when dedicated task has been interrupted.

Like for example a couple days ago I started a SAVE 21 & forgot to do END ALL
SBS first & even though that supposedly is in the SAVE 21 I have had strange
error messages running SAVE 21 without first ending all sub systems, so I do
that so I do not have to waste any time tracking down the scenarios.

So here was SAVE 21 running in a mode that supposedly you cannot break & I
did the console other session deal & cancelled the first session,
reinitialized my tape, ended all subsystems & restarted SAVE 21.

Even though all sub systems are down, if you are signed on as one of the
special people doing the backup, you can do the upper shift attention key bit
to get to the second session & this works at any device - I am not talking
second sign on session but second inquiry session of first job & from there
you can get to your message queue then F6 from there to QSYSOPR message queue.

There is a second screen to the SAVE21 & I change the very last value so that
messages will be answered according to system defaults.

When you are not locked out, you might do WRKSYSVAL F4 to *PRINTER & get
chart of your system values showing how they were shipped from IBM & how they
are now, flagged which ones you changed.   They are all explained in the WORK
MANAGEMENT MANUAL & in Al Barsa's wonderful hand out & various other places,
but it takes a while to gain an understanding of how they inter-relate.

>  From:    vpetrov@acme400.ACMESTEEL.COM (Valentin Petrov)
>
>  I had a problem yesterday - locking myself out of the system, by
> submitting a SAVSYS (opt21) - and not able to answer the message to the
> QSYSOPR.
>  As I could not do it by all defaults - (stopped at damaged object)
>   -   Prompt for commands - Y
>   -   Check for active files - Y
>   -   Message queue delivery -   *BREAK
>   -   Start Time      - *CURRENT
>  I  was advised to go for unattended save -
>   -   I put the reply in the list :
>   ADDRPYLE SEQNBR(902) MSGID(CPA3708) RPY(?G?)
>     Changed the job :
>   CHGJOB INQMSGRPY(*SYSRPYL)
>
>  Then changed the defaults to :
>
>   -   Prompt for commands - N
>   -   Check for active files - N
>   -   Message queue delivery -   *NOTIFY
>   -   Start Time      - *CURRENT
>
>  And tried again (the damaged object was supposed to be marked as damaged
> from the first try) and got a massage that it is waiting on massage on the
> QSYSOPR. And could not respond to the massage - all subsystems were down.
>
>  So I have more than one question :
>   -   how can I make the second session on the console (0,1)  to go to
QCTL, so
> if I am locked by a message - I could go there and unlock myself.
>   -   Is it possible really the second pass to save all?(if it?s been only
one
> damaged object)
>   -   Did I do something really stupid !?
>   (the system is V3.7)
>   Thanks in advance for any advise/thoughts.
>
>   Valentin

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
MIS Manager Green Screen Programmer & Computer Janitor of BPCS 405 CD Rel-02
running on AS/400 V4R3 http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies

Y2K is not the end of my universe, but a re-boot of that old Chinese curse.
The road to success is always under construction.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon and some days the statue.
Murphy's Mom brought wrong baby home from hospital so it should be Kelly's
Law.
When in doubt, read the documentation, assuming you can find it.