  • Subject: RE: SNA over IP
  • From: pytel@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 13:49:48 -0500

There are two misconceptions here, which I often see and decided to comment
on.
First, SNA is not more chatty than TCP/IP.
If you will look at communications trace, SNA will deliver approximately
the same amount of payload per same amount of LAN frames. SNA RUs do have
longer headers than TCP/IP packets but the difference is insignificant.
Second, while MPTN (aka ANYNET) certainly adds an overhead and slows things
down, it is not encapsulation per se.
MPTN uses different technique.

It's true, that SNA requires more careful configuration - there are very
few things you can actually configure in TCP/IP, which makes it easier to
use. Non-optimal configuration can lead to excessive traffic and IOP
utilization - which can explain your experience.

    Alexei Pytel

Chris Bipes <chris.bipes@cross-check.com>@midrange.com on 10/04/2000
10:47:04 AM

Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com