FYI, you don't have to have a lot of jobs hanging around.  The job tables
are also called the "work control block table" or WCBT.  Each entry is
associated with a single job and is called a "work control block table
entry" or WCBTE.  At V3R1 and before, there was no index to the active
WCBTE.  This could be true at V3R2 but I don't know.  If you wanted to
discover all the jobson the machine, you had to read the entire table.  I
think that it was at V3R1, some clever person in the lab decided that the
paging technique used to bring in the pages of the WCBT pushed out too much
non-WCBT stuff so they changed the technique to something called "exchange
bring".  This dramatically reduces the memory footprint but also eliminates
prefetching and forces lots of faulting.  I think that I remember a PTF to
fix this.   During Common in Austin Texas right after V3R1 was released, I
had lunch with one of the AS/400 performance "icons" and we chatted about
this.  I had spotted it because someone on some mailing list brought it up
so I went and did a test while running SMTRACE.  It was just pathetic.

The job commands take a long time because the machine is reading the entire
WCBT.  There is no WCBTE index like there is on RISC.  If the WCBT was EVER
very large, the system might still read it all.  Compressing or rebuilding
the table means you read less stuff so it goes faster.  Compress or rebuild
and look for PTFs.

I'm sure glad that Alexey and Eric remember this stuff, I had completely
forgotten about the compress data area.

Richard Jackson
mailto:richardjackson@richardjackson.net
http://www.richardjacksonltd.com