Dan,

I believe the recommendation for setting the QACTJOB & QTOTJOB system values is
10% higher than your peak.

The changes take effect during an IPL.  The important thing to consider when
setting these values is when do you want to take the performance hit.  If you
have a good window for you IPL, you can set these value a little higher.  Your
IPL will take longer because the system is creating additional table entries
(or space) ahead of time.  If your IPL window is tight, you might consider a
lower value.

Whenever additional table entries are needed, the system will increase by the
number listed in the QADLACTJ & QADLTOTJ system values.  This can have a
significant impact on your system performance because these jobs are run at
priority 0 in the machine pool.  However, the impact shouldn't last very long.
Again, you need to decide the best value based on how much growth you see on
your system and what you specified for QACTJOB & QTOTJOB.  For some reason, I'm
thinking the recommendation for QADLTOTJ & QADLACTJ is 20.

However, like someone (Richard?) pointed out earlier, these values are probably
not related to why it is taking so long to display the WRKSBMJOB & WRKUSRJOB
commands.  I seem to recall these commands taking a long time to process on
V2R* and V3R1.  However, I don't remember having problems at V3R2 or V3R7.

For some obvious problem-solving questions ...  Do you have the latest cums &
HIPER PTFs loaded and installed?  What kind of page faulting are you seeing in
the machine pool, base pool, and the pool where these commands are being run?

Some good resources to check out are the Work Management and System Performance
(Performance Tuning & Capacity Planning) manuals.

HTH,

Todd Kidwell (Netstar)
AS/400 System Administrator
(313) 224-0578

>>> snip >>>

Should I set a value high enough for these so that the "additional" jobs never
(or hardly ever?) has to kick in?  What's the penalty for setting these too
high?

When do these changes take effect?  Next IPL?  (Help didn't say.)