Chuck,

Yeah - it's me.
I just deleted your email on the Perle controller business (fingers too
fast again) but from what I gathered it's an APPC connection over TCP/IP
using AnyNet.
This is a guess here (I haven't had to do this myself) , but as the TCP/IP
is a "connectionless" protocol, the 400 doesn't know the line has dropped.
I believe one way to alter this is to change the value for the "Session
keep alive timeout (TIMMRKTIMO)" on the
"Change TELNET Attributes (CHGTELNA)" command.
The default value is *CALC, and I have no idea what that translates to.
You may want to try, say 150 to 300 seconds
(2.5 to 5 minutes).  Wouldn't want to make the value too low (say not less
than 60).

Here's the help text:

             Session keep alive timeout (TIMMRKTIMO) - Help

Specifies the number of seconds between connection validation.  TCP
tests each TELNET connection at the specified time interval.  If TCP
does not get a response, it ends the connection.

This parameter determines how frequently the session connection is
verified.  A high value can result in a longer time before a lost
connection gets detected.  A lower value tests the session more
frequently.

An explanation of keep alive can be found in the help information for
command CHGTCPA parameter TCPKEEPALV.

The possible values are:
 *SAME:
     The session keep alive value does not change if it was previously
     set.  Otherwise, *CALC is used.

 *CALC:
     The session keep alive is based on the frequency of sampling.

 *DFT:
     The session keep alive value is set to *CALC.

 Session keep alive timeout
     Specify the session keep alive timeout in seconds.  Valid values
     range from 0 through 2147483647 ((2**31)-1) seconds.  A value of 0
     means that there is no timeout.

Neil Palmer         DPS Data Processing Services Canada Ltd.
                                             AS/400~~~~~
Markham,  Ontario,   Canada    ___________          ___  ~
Phone: (905) 474-4890  x303   |OOOOOOOOOO| ________  o|__||=
Fax:   (905) 474-4898          oo      oo   oo  oo   OOOo=o\
mailto:NeilP@DPSlink.com    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.DPSlink.com        AS/400e  The Ultimate Business Machine