  • Subject: Re: Printing barcodes on IBM 6400 using TCP/IP OUTQ
  • From: Tim Hamm <tmhamm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 13:48:12 -0700 (PDT)

The Ethernet IPDS feature on a 6400 can be "field"
installed.   Make sure you have PSF/400 installed on
your AS/400. IBM list price on the field install
Ethernet IPDS feature is around $ 1700 (ASCII or
Twinax).  I know of 3 - 6400's that had the standard
internal Ethernet from IBM (no IPDS), and these are
running via TCP/IP with no problem.

I/O Corporation does have a Ethernet IPDS external box
(connect to ASCII port), but they have different
models for different printers (mostly lasers).  I
would check with them.   The units for HP Lasers go
for around $900.   http://www.iocorp.com

I would think the IBM option would be more stable (I
like to avoid mixing components), but I'm hearing that
the I/O unit works fine with the correct PTF's on your
system.

HTH,

Tim Hamm
Arbor Solutions, Inc