  • Subject: Re: Reliability, Reliability, Reliability
  • From: "Jim Franz" <franz400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 21:58:11 -0400

comments in line ...
> > In other words Nina, IBM is getting Operations Navigator installed and
> > functioning just about in time?
> > snip
> that's only part of it. you can't go to hastings and get as/400 for
> dummies.  and buying as/400 software can be a chore.  you don't go to
> comp usa and get a shrink wrapped box.

There is nothing at the local stores to run anything but a tiny business.
Word
processing, spreadsheets, and Access don't run businesses. They are good
departmental tools. The pc collection package is not from CompUsa.

> one of our associations had gone to a p/c based collection package, and
> at first really liked it.  they liked the windows navagations, etc.  but
> last month they said they wanted to go back to our collections, green
> screens and all, because the as/400 was solid and reliable.  the
> collection package was locking up once or twice a day and they were sick
> of dealing with it.
>
> anyhow, i got the files from the p/c, and was browsing them using
> microsoft access.  features of access are neat, being able to browse,
> design, create an on the fly form, or report at the click of a mouse.
> standard as/400 tools are not as cool.  or as intutitive.  cheap as/400

I would put Access in the same category as your pc collection package. Every
customer I've seen with an Access "application" hates it's reliability and
lack
of business features. Not bad for small, standalone app.You get what you pay
for.
There are many good, intuitive pc reporting tools for the 400-Showcase,
Cognos, and many others. I've had several small shops do well with these.
Keeps me from having to write all these pc file transfers. More expensive
than Access, but not outrageous.

> education seems to be non existant.  and ibm does not seem too tolerant
> of someone that wants to learn the as/400 picking up an old used machine
> to practice on.

Education-What about the Manta training on cd's? or 400 Group cd's? or
others. Also the IBM Satellite Training (etNetworks.com)? For an annual
subscription they give you satellite dish & install it! Round the clock
courses!
10 channels! Cost less than a 1 week course in Rochester! It is out there.

> it's a really tough problem.  and a new name won't fix it!

Very true. At least with a new name there should be a major promotion
(although IBM has never been good at that). The best I've ever seen
is the e-commerce ads on TV (where are they now?). My customers
remembered them. Got them thinking.
BTW-I personally like as/400x for a name, and a truly eXtreme campaign
to match.
imho - Jim Franz