There is something wrong here.

Drive 1 is full size.  Drives 2-5 have reduced sizes like they are in a RAID
set.  If you create a RAID set from 5 drives, the parity data is only
carried on four of the drives - drives 5, 6, and 7 will show as full sized.
If you create a RAID set with 8 drives, they all show size reduction but
drives above 8 show as full sized.  So, except for the fact that they are
all 100 full, they look properly balanced.

Drives 6-9 look like they form another RAID set except the first drive shows
100 full and the other 3 are 40 percent.  That is wrong.  You cannot divide
a RAID set between two ASP, can you?

Since the drives are different sizes, the two types cannot be in the same
RAID set.

Check this out!  Here are the read requests and write requests per second
for the 17 GB drives:

 R   W
4.1 2.1
1.2 3.4
1.9 2.3
1.5 2.6

The standard assumption is that the drives support 80 percent reads and 20
percent writes.  There are more like one third reads and two thirds writes.
The rates for the 17GB drives is more like 50:50 and that is weird too.  It
looks like you are restoring a large quantity of stuff to these drives - how
may database files?  Are the audit journals turned on?  I'm just fishing for
SOMETHING that is creating on those low end drives because those look like
journal receivers to me.

The fastest way to get the next clue is to run SMTRACE to figure out what is
going onto the  drives - in other words, what is being read and written.  I
want to know what is on drives 1 through 5 but that is a little tricky to
figure out.

There is something wrong here.  Did you call IBM?  What OS release are you
on?

Richard Jackson
mailto:richardjackson@richardjackson.net
http://www.richardjacksonltd.com