  • Subject: Re: Re[4]: The relevance of COMMON (was Penton to buy Duke -
  • From: booth@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 00:16:29 GMT

I've found a couple of issues keep coming up in discussions about
training.  Too many times a few people view these sessions as some sort of
goof-off award and seem determined to socialize and network and enhance
their own values but will not help the management see the benefits gained
from the budget money spent.

It is my opinion that most management will respond to positive signs from
employees regarding training.   Local User Groups are a good way to begin
showing management why it pays to send you to a session, and there are
regional shows all over the country that last a day or two days and are
useful and pay dividends.   But if you think it is goof-off time, or time
to find out what you should really be paid, or to start a job search then
I guess it makes sense for a manager to say No doesn't it?

No one here would take advantage like that of course, but too many people
do, and we all know people like that.  None the less, we can show managers
that training pays.

Booth Martin
Booth@MartinVT.com
http://www.MartinVT.com